Sunday, September 18, 2011

Illustrator: Trina Schart Hyman


Welcome to my new Illustrious Illustrator series!

I’m enjoying the Alpha-Blog so much, I think I may stick to it. Henceforth, "I" entries will focus on my favorite illustrators, their artwork, and interesting facts about them.

I am most inspired visually: a single picture can hatch a novel. Photographs, artwork... they are scenes just waiting to happen.

Writing + Visual Aids = Good Fun

One of my favorite illustrators is Trina Schart Hyman (1939 - 2004). She illustrated over 150 books, won three Caldecott Honors and one Caldecott Medal. Her favorite story was Little Red Riding Hood, and she spent an entire year of her childhood wearing a red cape. (Wikipedia)

I find her art incredibly rich and fierce, and rather dark; her people are interesting, the scenes wild and brooding. Her illustrations also possess a rustic, old world quality. The style is altogether striking and distinct.




































(self-portrait)

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, yes, I love that Red Riding Hood one. Very nice. They remind me of the artist from the 1920's who did the art for a lot of the Grimm's Fairy tales. Rackman?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi LG - I'm so glad you like the art. Wasn't Arthur Rackham BRILLIANT? (a favorite of mine too, and on my list) I don't know if I can wait another month to list my next illustrator. I'm tempted to change the old "I before E" to "I before A" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea for posting! Showcasing illustrators/illustrations is a great idea! The artwork is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are gorgeous! I think I am going to love this illustrator series. :)

    ReplyDelete